DIAGNODent Laser Detection
Do you have a cavity that has not yet been detected? Is there a pocket of decay lurking beneath the surface of your tooth, slowly destroying it from the inside? Many patients are surprised to learn that tooth decay can begin below the surface, resulting in the phenomenon known as hidden caries.
Early detection and treatment of hidden caries is the key to preserving the natural strength and function of your teeth long into the future. The sooner hidden caries are detected, the more quickly and effectively the decay can be removed while preserving healthy tooth enamel. Early detection and treatment is vital because when tooth enamel is eroded by oral bacteria, it is lost forever.At Assure A Smile, we go to great lengths to provide our Miami patients with only the newest, safest, and most advanced methods of hidden caries detection. We are pleased to offer the DIAGNODent laser as part of our holistic dental cleaning and exams, and we welcome you to learn how this exciting new technology can save your teeth from tooth decay.
DIAGNODent Laser Cavity and Caries Detection
The DIAGNODent laser is the most advanced method of detecting hidden caries and cavities. With the DIAGNODent, our team can take a look inside your teeth to treat decay and hidden caries before they cause irreparable harm.
How to Detect Caries
Take a look inside. With the help of the DIAGNODent laser, our team can look at the inner health of a tooth without ever scraping, breaking, or penetrating the surface. Here’s how it works:
- Bacteria “fluoresce” (glow) when they are exposed to a specific kind of light.
- The DIAGNODent laser uses that specific wavelength of light, and shines it on specific teeth.
- Corresponding teeth glow under the DIAGNODent’s light when resevoirs of bacteria, or hidden caries, are present.
- Your dental professional logs the results, identifying specific problem teeth according to the levels of bacteria/hidden caries that are present.
- Teeth that contain high levels of bacteria and/or highly developed dental caries are selected for treatment.
- Teeth that contain lower levels of bacteria are noted and characterized as “teeth to watch” during subsequent cleanings and exams.
- By identifying problem teeth, patients leave our office knowing exactly which areas of their mouth need extra care between check-ups, and how to care for them.
How to Treat Caries
You might ask, how does a dentist treat dental caries? First, it is vital that patients schedule a regular dental cleaning and exam every 4 to 6 months so technology like the DIAGNODent laser can be used to detect dental caries early. Once detected, our experienced team of hygienists and dental professionals helps patients treat dental caries in the following ways:
- Detection: Following your exam, you will know which teeth need extra care.
- Oral hygiene: Assure A Smile hygienists will show you how to brush, floss, and care for your problem areas to minimize decay and reduce the progression of the dental carries.
- Re-mineralization: Your holistic dental exam includes nutritional consultation to better understand how vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients can help re-mineralize and strengthen tooth enamel naturally.
- Restoration: In some cases, dental caries might be so pronounced that a portion of the tooth’s soft tissue will need to be removed to prevent the spread of bacteria and decay. Following removal, the tooth will be restored with a safe bio-compatible and non-toxic white composite.
Schedule a Cleaning and Consultation Today
Schedule a dental cleaning and holistic exam at Assure A Smile to learn more about early cavity and hidden caries detection with the DIAGNODent laser. Schedule a dental appointment online, or call our friendly front desk at 305-274-0047.