DIAGNODent Laser Detection
Are there cavities? Or is it a healthy tooth? While helping to improve the oral health of many Americans, fluorine in the water supply has resulted in harder tooth enamel. The beginnings of tooth decay that once began on the tooth’s surface have now migrated below the surface, resulting in the phenomenon of “hidden caries.”
What are “hidden caries”?
In the case of hidden caries, traditional diagnostic methods like x-rays all too frequently yield inconclusive results. Dr. Herrmann, in practicing minimally invasive dentistry, has sought the latest technology to assist him in providing the greatest results for his patients.
DIAGNOdent is one such piece of technology that allows Dr. Herrmann to make difficult treatment decisions with a high degree of certainty without impacting the comfort of his patient. The DIAGNOdent laser removes the doubt from treatment decisions regarding hidden caries or questionable stained grooves. The device’s ability to see into minute dental pits and fissures enables the treating of sub-surface caries lesions with confidence and zero impact to the patient.
What is DIAGNOdent and how does it work?
- DIAGNOdent uses laser technology to detect and quantify hidden or sub-surface caries by using laser fluorescence to peer beneath the tooth surface.
- Altered tooth substances and bacteria, including caries, will then be visible and an appropriate treatment can be discussed with the patient.
- Accurate – Over 90% accurate in detecting lesions not detectable with traditional X-rays.
- Conservative – Prevents “exploratory” excavation or under-treatment of suspect teeth.
- Safe – Uses light energy — no X-ray exposure. Poses no danger to patients and is a painless, non-invasive procedure.
For more information about DIAGNODent laser used at our dentistry, please contact us.