Comments by Ted Herrmann:
The holiday season is truly a wonderful time of the year. High spirits are inescapable, from the snow capped evergreens of the North to the lit up palm trees of the South. During a season synonymous with gluttony, take a moment and consider this healthy cookie recipe from Assure a Smile. Don’t worry about leaving your taste buds out in the cold here! This sugar cookie recipe packs all the wholesome flavors of traditional cookies, without the added fat and sugar.
Healthy Sugar Cookies
1 ¼ cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
4 Tablespoons butter
8 Tablespoons applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup sugar
1 egg white
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in large bowl and mix well.
- Beat applesauce, butter, and sugar with electric mixer on medium in a second large bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients (step 1) with contents of second bowl; mix gently, stopping immediately when soft dough forms.
- Form dough into ball; wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with wax paper; coat lightly with coconut oil.
- Lightly dust a kitchen surface with flour; roll dough into ¼ inch sheet (after having refrigerated for full 3 hours).
- Use cookie cutters to cut out desired cookie shapes. (Fun Tip: let children cut their own shape and etch their initials or thumb print on face)
- Line cookies on baking sheets, spacing each 2 inches from the next.
- Decorate with sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until edges turn golden.
- Remove from oven; let cool for 5 minutes.
Healthy Holiday Cookies
Healthy holiday cookies are a great addition to family gatherings, parties, or that cookie tray in the kitchen! As a holistic dentistry practice, we like to encourage patients to maintain healthy diets. This is hard during the holidays, but not altogether impossible. Another hint from this Miami dentist and team: lightly top the cookies with non-fat vanilla yogurt. This impromptu topping makes perfect icing for this healthy sugar cookie recipe.