Nothing is more important to parents than the health and well-being of their children. Every mom and dad will do everything they can to ensure that their kids are safe, happy, and on their way to a bright future. When it comes to their kids’ oral health, the things parents do today to instill healthy…
Making the decision to get dental implants is a step toward improving your smile and enhancing your overall quality of life. Missing teeth can often be taxing for patients who desire a full, bright smile. Since smiling can often release positive hormones, feeling as though you have to hide your smile is not the final…
For much of the 1900s, very little research was conducted to study the effect of fluoride accumulation on brain health. By the 1950s, the subject started to garner attention among a number of scientists, researchers, and dental health professionals. In 1990, a major milestone was reached when Dr. Jennifer Luke asked the question: How does the accumulation of fluoride affect the hard and soft tissues of the body?
Thyroid conditions make it difficult for the body to produce and regulate a normal amount of very important hormones. This causes a ripple effect that may throw major organs and body systems out of sync. In terms of oral health, the side effects of a thyroid condition may cause serious changes in both the function and health of the tongue, teeth, and gums.
The first half of 2012 saw a major victory in the battle for fluoride-free public drinking water in the United States. In April, city officials in Albuquerque, New Mexico, elected not to increase the fluoride content of the community’s water. “We’re going to err on the side of caution,” remarked David Morris, a representative for the Albuquerque Water Authority (i). The decision triggered a ripple effect that stirred debate in neighboring communities, causing public officials and residents alike to reconsider the widely held notion that fluoride is a “healthy.”
Modern medicine has long promoted vaccines as the most effective measure to prevent the spread of certain illnesses. Measles, Mumps, Polio, and Hepatitis are just a few examples of the illnesses for which we are vaccinated, often before the age of 5. But are vaccines healthy, and should governmental agencies have the right to require the general public to receive them? A number of independent researchers say “No,” citing evidence from a recent study that shows vaccinated children may be more susceptible to certain illnesses than children who have not received routine vaccinations. As research mounts, health professionals and scientists from around the world are beginning to ask an alarming question: Are vaccines actually making children sick?
Diet and oral health are connected in a number of interesting ways, and focusing on the former has an increasingly positive effect on the latter. Eating well sets the foundation for creating healthy teeth and gums for life, and oral health is promoted exponentially when daily food consumption is limited to the foods that are most healthy. Today, health professionals are compiling evidence that suggests food items like wheat, barley, and bread are causing serious health issues for a growing number of Americans. The evidence suggests that about 1% of the population has an adverse reaction to gluten, a protein found in most whole grains. This has prompted dental professionals to spread awareness for gluten by encouraging patients to consider how the wheat, barley, and other whole grains in their daily diet may be hurting overall health.
Today, the average person consumes 150 pounds of sugar each year—nearly 20 times the amount consumed by the average person in the 18th century (i). Only about 60% of those calories are metabolized and converted into immediate energy; the remaining 40% are converted into fat molecules, stored, and reserved for energy production later. With this in mind, it is easy to see how sugar consumption is a key contributor to obesity. New research shows that excessive sugar consumption also leads to a number of other life threatening diseases, including type II Diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Miami dentists have begun to spread awareness for this issue, warning patients to be weary of daily sugar intake not only to prevent cavities but to preserve total body health as well.
Though there is much debate whether fluoride is helpful or harmful, studies have shown that people have hypersensitive reactions to fluoride. As recognized by the Physicians’ Desk Reference (1994, 48th Edition, p. 2335-6), these symptoms include gastric distress, headache, joint pain, lethargy, mouth lesions, skin rashes, visual disturbances and weakness. The book also says, “These hypersensitivity reactions usually disappear promptly after discontinuation of the fluoride.” Assure a Smile has prepared this research article to spread awareness for fluoride allergy and to provide patients with alternative methods of preventing tooth decay.