If your dentist determines that you need a dental crown, you are in good company. According to the American College of Prosthodontists, crowns are the most common restorative dental procedure, with approximately 2.3 million crowns made annually. Crowns are used frequently because they offer an effective and time-tested solution to a wide range of frequently arising dental and oral health issues.
What are Dental Crowns?
As the term implies, a dental crown sits on top of a tooth. Made of ceramic or porcelain which provides functionality, strength, and a natural-looking appearance, crowns are used to cover, cap, and protect extremely damaged teeth. Crowns are specially crafted to fit an individual tooth by taking an impression and creating a mold of the tooth.
At Assure a Smile in Miami, we use advanced CEREC technology to create video impressions of the impacted tooth, eliminating the need for plaster trays of uncomfortable and unappetizing “goop” and multiple return appointments. With CEREC technology, all it takes is just one session to create a completely customized and perfectly fitting crown.
Why Would Your Dentist Recommend a Crown?
Dentists frequently use crowns on teeth which have large cavities or fractures in an effort to save those teeth rather than extracting them entirely. Other reasons your dentist may recommend a crown include:
- Replacing a large filling (half the width of the tooth or more) when there isn’t enough tooth remaining. Often, the remaining tooth around larger fillings become so weak that they are particularly prone to fracturing
- Covering a dental implant
- Holding together a severely cracked tooth
- Covering a discolored or misshapen tooth
- Covering a tooth that has had a root canal
- Covering a tooth that has lost its cusp to prevent it from fracturing
- Restoring a tooth that has lost enamel and becomes excessively worn because of such conditions as teeth grinding or acid reflux
- Holding a dental bridge in place
Assure A Smile: Committed to Exceptional Patient Experiences and Outcomes
When crowns, bridges, tooth extractions, filling replacements, or other dental procedures are necessary, the caring and expert staff at Assure a Smile in Miami make the patient experience as relaxing, pleasant, and, comfortable as possible. Befitting our commitment to using the latest technology to improve patient care and outcomes, Assure A Smile is one of the only dental practices in South Florida to offer crowns, restorations, implants, and orthodontic treatments enhanced with advanced CEREC technology
To learn more about our practice or to schedule an appointment, please contact us today at 305-274-0047.